So you wanna camp in the wild? Well, You’ve been living in the city for quite a while and have no idea how dangerous the wild is, Its ok, 90% of us have no idea about it.
Today, I bring you the best tips from Real- Adventurers about how to stay secure in the wild.
Most of the people like camping in the wild while others just go around for a trek or a hike. No matter for what purpose you enter the Jungle, you are always at risk.
Yes, there is always gonna be one or the other kind of risk in the Jungle.
The kinds of risk you can encounter in the jungle include :
- Animal Attack
- Insect bite
- Lack of correct Nutrition
- Food Poisoning
So how to camp in the wild?
Anyhow, when there are problems, there are solutions and there are solutions for these too.
Here’s how you can prevent yourself from any of the above-mentioned risks.
Protection against Infections
Camp in the wild? Seems exciting but it also has a dark side, Infections. Infections can be caused by anything, from an insect, an animal, a plant or even your habits . The worst thing here is that you never know what might cause that infection. The best thing is that you can prevent it from happening.
- First things first, prevention is better than cure. Make sure you are wearing nice and comfortable clothes that don’t get too hot neither do they get too cold so you’ll prevent a possible skin rash.
- Always use a repellent or some kind of extra moisture over your skin to coat it with a layer of protection.
- Make sure you keep handy all the medication you use otherwise there would be no way to find a Medical store out in the forest.
Protection against Animal attacks
Ahhh.. Animals. The Jungle is there home and when you are trespassing, make sure you are doing it with perfection. Because frankly, no one likes an unknown person in their house and neither are they gonna like it. Your camp in the wild can be seen as a threat by the Fauna there. So here’s what you can do:
- Make sure you make a campfire, is it one of the most important things to do as most animals are afraid of fire. Especially the Carnivores, they are dead-scared of fire.
- Always keep a knife with you just in case you encounter an animal right in front of you. Although I do not support hunting, but at least defend yourself
- Always have adequate information about the Forest Area you are gonna enter. Information includes the types of animal and plant species existing there, the best time to visit etc.
- Always pitch your tents in the open ground. You should not pitch your tents in a dense area because you never know if an animal is just behind you. In an open ground, you can see an animal approaching from a distance and hence, you can be prepared.
Protection against Insect Bite
Not just big animals, but even the micro terrorists called Insects can make your journey a hell. Have you ever been bitten by a Spider? Do you know how it feels? Probably not and you wouldn’t wanna know it either. A camp in the wild is very open to these because you are right in the middle of the forest. Here’s what you can do about these Micro Terrorists.
- ALWAYS! And I mean always use an Insect repellent. The first thing would be to use a Mosquito repellent as they are in abundance in the forest.
- Never attack any of them or you might get attacked in return . Bees in the forests live peacefully in the Beehive but if you seem a danger to them, you are done Boy!
- Always have an idea of your surroundings just in case if you are entering a high-risk zone where insect species are more in numbers.
Protection against lack of proper nutrition
Just a reminder. A camp in the wild is way different from a camp in your backyard. It is not just the other forces that turn a holiday into a nightmare, but your own body might do it. Proper nutrition is the most important thing to consider when we talk about entering the Jungle. If you are not physically fit, mentally strong and organically healthy, then it is almost impossible for you to enter the forests.
A forest is the greatest challenge of mother nature and also the toughest to tackle, but with right prep and adequate time, one can do it easily.
Here’s what you have to do to be fit in every way:
TO BE PHYSICALLY FIT:
- 30 days prior to the forest expedition, make sure you start exercising a little bit. A 7-Minute high-intensity workout is the best way to find time for a workout and that too, an effective workout.
- Practice the ancient techniques including Yoga, you might not see the results soon, but the results last for a lifetime.
TO BE MENTALLY STRONG:
- Convince yourself that the Forest life is different from your city life, this will help you prepare for the greens.
- Try to end any kind of fear that you may have. e.g. Darkness, Sound etc.
TO BE ORGANICALLY HEALTHY:
- Eat food with High-Protein levels like Chicken breasts, fish etc. You also have vegetarian options such as lentils, cottage cheese etc.
- Drink an adequate amount of water everyday, it will help your metabolism run smooth.
Protection against Food Poisoning:
A camp in the wild is gonna make you go hunt for food and Food poisoning there is pretty much the most common problem people face in the wild. They don’t know which plant or herb is edible and they eat it. That results in getting infections, losing the metabolism functions, getting severe headaches and body aches. So what to do to avoid all this?
- First and foremost, have knowledge about what you can eat in the wild. Read this informative article about Edible herbs and plants.
- Second and the most important, never be overconfident, you are you, not Bear Grylls.
I hope this article helped. If you want an article on any topic related to Travel, Food and Lifestyle, comment it below and I’ll get back to you.
Anubhav Bhatt, Travel Blogger.